Wednesday, September 28, 2011

This is C-L-A-S-S-I-C . . .

THE NEW MILITARY DATING SCAM

Re-posted from the same Millbloggie-nominated site as the story below - I'm re-transmitting this story as a public story for all you lonely-hearted ladies out there pining for a brave, bold man in uniform. I know you're out there because my inbox is infested with emails . . . sorry I'm not available but if you wish to make a small contribution . . . and yes, this is an unusually long post so we'll cut to Today's Bird HERE . . . read on . . . S.L.


LADIES: HIS WEBSITE HAS BEEN NOMINATED FOR A MILBLOGGIE AWARD. YOU CAN FIND OUT THE DETAILS HERE, BUT PLEASE GO AND VOTE FOR CJ AFTER HIS WORK EXPOSING MILITARY SCAMMERS AND FOR PROVIDING THIS RESOURCE TO SHARE INFORMATION.

WELCOME 101DATE.COM READERS!

As you know, I’ve tackled the issue of all these Nigerian and foreign scams for quite some time. I get emails and comments almost weekly from people who read one of my posts while doing research about a possible scammer. These people have become quite sophisticated in their methods. They’ve gone from the old “you’ve won a multi-trillion dollar lottery! Just send me $2500 and we can send it to you” to “I’m a Soldier in Iraq who found millions of illegal money Saddam was hording and I need your to bring it back.” The latest trend involves trolling internet dating sites and convincing women that they are honorable Soldiers who have fallen in love and would do anything to communicate with the object of their affection. But, because they are deployed to Afghanistan or Iraq, they need you to sign up for an expensive telecommunications service like “Military TELEX” in order to make that happen. They profess unending love as their motivator and, unfortunately, many women have fallen for it.

I got an email from a reader who came across my Military TELEX post. She told me about a man she met through MyYearbook.com that had introduced himself as Major General (MG) Tim Canny. Thankfully, she became suspicious after reading this “general’s” poor grammar:


I’m happy that you are able to release your email to me and i will like to share with you more information about me that will help us to start knowing each other better ….
I was giving birth to a wonderful family 49yrs ago. My dad was an American man that married a Malaysian woman due to his service and work in malaysia when he was younger, he was in the marine until he left and become civil engineer. I was their only son and child. I’m very simple, caring, honest and self independent..

I got married and enjoyed my matrimonial home. I and my then wife gave birth to a girl and she’s so beautiful and I love her wholeheartedly. Well, I and my wife lived happily and I worked as an Engineer before I later joined the Army 23yrs ago. I fix and inspects Cars and trucks, but I have special interest for the Military because my dad was once in the Military before He retired and started His Civil Engineer Career.

My late wife was dead 5yrs ago due to lungs cancer and I became a widow. Since then, it has been one bad experience after another; I also lost my dad last year. I really loved my wife and dad because of the relationship between us.. …She had loved me with all her heart and she had loved me for me. She was so caring and possessed all of the qualities a woman should possess. She was so much an angel that I treasured her so much but God knows why that happened to me. I also give thanks to God that she gave me a beautiful daughter Monica…
I just need someone that can love me for me and we will love each other for the rest of our lifes, because i know life is too short to play with…

I have learnt to leave my past behind and move forward to the future, though my past makes part of my life and I need to plan for my future. I need love again in my life. I had love once in my life and I need a woman that can be mine on a longterm goal. I hope I will still find love someday soon, that’s all I believe and I’m so optimistic about it.

I am ready to date from any part of the globe. I need to meet my true love, because we don’t know where our love is at the moment and we have to keep searching for it anywhere, any time and any way we can.

Presently, I’m active in the Army and been stationed at Fort Lewis, Barrack Washington State . I live alone on base, while my girl ives with my Mom in Malaysia ….though I planned to retire from the Army soon in order to start a family life
I really need a woman to come up to and be when I will be back to the state, a woman that will be mine forever and that will cherish me for me….

Thank you for spending your time in reading this long note/essay about me….if you think we are still on the same looking page let me know so we can know the waay forward…


TIMMY


Yada-Yada-Yada . . . scam details below - worth the read from a security perspective even if you're not a lonely hearted wench . . . . the photo of "Timmy" is actually a buddy of mine from 10th Group, initials Lima Sierra . . . S.L.




Last time I checked, most generals were quite well versed in the English language. The way this scam works is the individual takes some time to get to know the target woman. Once he’s gained her trust and confidence, he tells her that pretty soon he will be deployed to an area without internet or communication services and won’t be able to write to each other. He then sends an e-mail address with something like, “Well to get registered with the telecommunication you will have to email them with gsatcom@programmer.net and you have to tell them you want to use the phoning facility system with MG TIM CANNY presently on deployment in Afghanistan. The service is a way we can talk on phone without no call charges attached, all is 100% free after we get registered and pay the registration fee”

Here’s the catch: if there isn’t service in Afghanistan where a Soldier is being deployed, there isn’t service period! And I have no doubt that a MAJOR GENERAL will ever be sent anywhere that he can’t communicate. That’s where the Army sends peons like Lieutenant Colonels and below! No general officer would ever stoop so low as to be so archaic. To be honest, few LTCs do either.


If you email the company, you’re likely to get a response like this:

Dear Subscriber,

Thank you for the enquiry, our service is to provide phoning and Satellite facilities for civilian and Military Personnel.

Gsatcom provides essential communications services to and from remote areas where no other form of communication is available. Whether at sea, on land or in flight, our services ideally suit the maritime, aviation, government/military, emergency/humanitarian services, mining, forestry, oil and gas, heavy equipment, transportation and utilities industries.

We specialize in providing global satellite access services. Gsatcom solutions have been implemented for United States Marine Corps (USMC), U.S. Army Corps , Australian Defence Force (ADF), Command of Polish Navy, Special Military Formation GROM Especially for US Army soldiers we ship VSAT equipment within 72hrs in Afghanistan, Iraq and the Middle East.

Satellite phones are about 3 times more expensive than GSM phones, but have the best coverage. Often they are the only choice for a soldier that is deployed at a remote forward operating base (FOB) that a cell phone network cannot reach.

Basic advantages of our service for Military personnel;

Possibility of communicating freely in 110 countries in Europe, North and Central Africa, Asia, and Middle East

- Satellite and GSM connectivity in one telephone
- No prepaid cards needed
- Free Iridium 9555 handheld satellite phone
- Free unlimited calls for Military Personnel.
- Payment incure refundable when the officer leave the war zone

The Facility involves $400 registration fee(s).

In other to register for our phoning facility, you are advice to provide us with the information below;

YOUR INFORMATION:

- FULL NAME:

-HOME ADDRESS:

- PHONE NUMBER:

- PHONE SERVICE PROVIDER:

MILITARY PERSONNEL INFORMATION:

-NAME:

-RANK:

-MOS:

-LOCATION (COUNTRY WHERE HE/SHE NEEDS THE SERVICE):

Once you provide us with the above information you are no longer anonymous to us.

(We) protect your privacy. We do not insist you to provide extra personal information than necessary.

All information collected will not be used for any illegal activity

The information is what we are going to use to register you with our service.

Regards,
Gsatcom.

Satellite Provider – Technologie Satelitarne

First of all, Iridium phones are uber-expensive! Anytime someone mentions a satellite or iridium phone being “free,” ask some serious questions, especially in an austere place like Afghanistan. If you ask too many questions about the service, you’ll miraculously get an email from the “soldier” in question professing his undying love for you. Coincidence? No. More thank likely, the email to the GSATCOM goes directly to the “soldier.”

So, if you get an email from a “Tim Graham Canny” – who doesn’t exist in the Army – send it to your spam box immediately. These people use these internet dating services as the initial opportunity, then progress to Yahoo chat and other methods of email communication. Oh, and here’s the clincher: he made Major General in less than 23 years!!! This guy should be the next Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff if he keeps this up. And if that doesn’t convince you, these photos of the good “general” will.


This shameful saga goes on and on . . . HERE is a collection of scammed photos with analysis . . . if you've got the time to glance over they're actually quite funny in a pathetic sort of way . . . S.L.




.

No comments:

Post a Comment