Saturday, March 27, 2010

TIME FOR A BREAK

FROM BROTHER CHAS . . .


A musical interlude, if you will. Cartoon between features. I think we need a break. Maybe a Capra film or three.

So much negative energy floating around just now . . . bad juju . . . pushing me back toward the dark side.

I'm vibin' bad, boys, and I don't think I'm the only one. Too much coffee, not enough sleep-perchance-to-dream. Sometimes I smell that faint whiff of smoke, that low rumblin' noise just over the horizon. What's that? . . . is it gonna rain? . . . do y'hear Bodhráns? . . . or maybe it's the sound of a thousand horsemen ridin' hard.

I usually keep them dawgs locked up but lately they getting restless, they can smell something moving in for the kill. In the hours before dawn when most men die and hope turns cold. Nothing wrong with an early sunrise.


4 comments:

  1. Dang, I've done it now. Got that tune renting space in my head and I'm whistling the thing all over the place. I noticed that it is the same cadence as march music, think John Philip Sousa (a Brother, BTW). Also same as most polka tunes, think Frankie Yankovic.
    Well, I have heard lots worse sounds and it does keep the dawgs quiet, thoughts dark and restless, dogs of war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True enough, I need to calm down in favor of my blood pressure. That tune, though...or more specifically the lyrics.

    The original words were a thinly-disguised seduction ballad from a hobo to a punk recruit, the last verse of which was

    The punk rolled up his big blue eyes
    And said to the jocker, "Sandy,
    I've hiked and hiked and wandered too,
    But I ain't seen any candy.
    I've hiked and hiked till my feet are sore
    And I'll be damned if I hike any more
    To be buggered sore like a hobo's whore
    In the Big Rock Candy Mountains."


    Plus of course the anti-work sentiment was a big favorite with the Wobblies. Kinda spoils it, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank, Rob, for the background on the song. Boy, Haywire Mac was a salty old guy, uh? Doesn't spoil it knowing the social and political context of Wobblies, Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie, the union movement, so forth. I never thought beyond it's a funny ditty offered for some comic relief.
    Rule 62, eh?

    ReplyDelete