Thursday, June 23, 2011

ROMAN ARCH BRIDGE


Three years ago I chose this image of the Roman Arch Bridge at Alcantara, Spain as a symbol for my business. This bridge was constructed between 104 and 106 AD by order of the Roman Emperor Trajan. On the archway over the central pier there is an inscription:


PONTEM PERPETUI MANSURUM IN SAECULA

I have built a bridge which will last forever.


The Alcántara Bridge is a combat veteran; it has in fact taken more damage from war than from the elements. The Moors destroyed the smallest arch on the left side in 1214. This was rebuilt in 1543 with stone from the original quarries. The second arch on the right side was destroyed by the Spanish to stop the Portuguese, and was repaired in 1762 by Charles III, only to be blown up again in 1809 to stop the French. Temporary repairs made in 1819 were replaced in 1860 with mortared masonry

A stylized version of the Alcántara Bridge appears on my letterheads and business paperwork, along with the Latin motto:




Vires Quod Veneratio

"Strength and Honor"



Why the Arch? To me the Arch symbolizes strength, teamwork and cooperation, and a concept of the services I provide - security consulting and technical solutions to challenges faced in military combat.


  • The arch is a very strong structure that spans a space while supporting weigh, and yet no single spot holds all the weight.
  • The Romans did not invent the arch, but exploited the concept in their prolific architecture, together with a construction material they did invent; cement. 
  •  An arch requires all of its elements to hold it together.


The Roman Arch also symbolizes inspiration from the Ancients of the Classical Era, whom I frequently consult for wisdom and guidance.


SEAN LINNANE SENDS



.

4 comments:

  1. I lived in Switzerland in the 70's and would happen upon roman ruins while out hiking. Often, they were mock-ups covering some Swiss military site LOL.
    LOVE the Swiss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'am no linguist expert and I may be wrong but should not the translation of Strength and Honor be "Fortitudinem et Honorem"? Also I was in Germany before,during and after the falling of the wall and seen many Roman ruins and most likely arches such as the one you show. By the way your site has been a staple in my online visits although I do not comment, I commend you.

    ReplyDelete