Thursday, May 14, 2015

ROLEX

I've posted the story of how Rolex became the iconic military man's signature timepiece: PRISONER of WAR ROLEX's Part 1, also Part 2, and Part 3. I wear a Rolex - saved up and bought it at the PX in Okinawa, a sort of present to myself that I'd arrived at where I wanted to be in Life. Around the same time I learned why we professional military men wear Rolex's . . . Hint: it ain't to tell the time . . . S.L.


The primary purpose of the Rolex - to a professional adventurer - is not as a timepiece but rather as a life insurance policy. When the situation goes pear-shaped and you've somehow made it to the airport, the Rolex buys you a seat on the last flight out of Heart of Darkness International Airport.


As your aircraft circles the city, you look down at the rising columns of black smoke and imagine the scene downtown in the city square where they're chopping the few remaining Westerners up into monkey meat, you look at your wrist where your treasured timepiece used to be and you think 2 things:

A) 'Well I guess the Rolex finally paid for itself . . .'

and

B) 'I can always buy another watch . . .'

STORMBRINGER SENDS

5 comments:

  1. My Uncle wore this same watch and would let me wear it around when he visited. I have always viewed these as a distinguishing mark of the SF operator ever since. Thanks for the story behind it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the same as an investment....but it's escape $$$ on my wrist...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here, many years ago, still wearing it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here, many years ago, still wearing it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic website. A lot of helpful info here. I am sending it to some
    friends ans additionally sharing in delicious. And obviously, thank you to your effort!

    my web page; 강남오피
    (jk)

    ReplyDelete