Friday, February 18, 2011

COMMENTS

Regarding the comment (below) about the tank - yes it occurred to me that this might be training / testing footage, especially given the voice-over, and I said as much to the guy who sent it; I should have included my comments that I emailed back to him. Given the flight track of the missile, it looks like it is wire-guided - such as a TOW. I'm not familiar enough with the Milan to say one way or the other. It is a spectacular piece of footage nonetheless.

Somebody asked is that photo actually Barry Sadler - according to an article I read in Soldier of Fortune magazine years ago, yes it is. I don't know the deal with the Wehrmacht cap, because if you study the pic closely you can see he is wearing Vietnam-era tigerstripe camouflage, and to the best of my knowledge, none of the Germans who served in French Indochina in the Foreign Legion wore any remnants of their World War II uniforms.


Close inspection of the photo reveals the distinctive "Horse" crest of the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center & School - my alma mater:




So the question becomes what on Earth is Barry Sadler doing with a SWC crest on a Wehrmacht cap? The only possible explanation I can come up with is he is possibly in role as a guerrilla for the final training exercise of the Special Forces "Q" Course. This is possibly a mystery to which we may never learn the answer - one thing is for sure; I know right now my buddies in the team rooms at Fort Bragg and in the instructor's hooches out at Camp MacKall are saying, "WOAH - HE'S RIGHT, CHECK IT OUT! BARRY SADLER IS WEARING A SWC CREST ON HIS CASCA PORTRAIT!"


Oh, and the link to the Friday Bird is working now.


Peace, Out . . . SEAN LINNANE SENDS


.

2 comments:

  1. Or maybe he just liked the hat??

    ReplyDelete
  2. instagram takipçi satın al. Hemen buradan sınırsız takipçi satın alabilirsiniz.
    instagram takipçi satın al. Hemen buradan sınırsız takipçi satın alabilirsiniz.
    instagram takipçi satın al. Hemen buradan sınırsız takipçi satın alabilirsiniz.
    1

    ReplyDelete