Friday, November 26, 2010

HERE's LOOKING AT YOU, KID


On this day in 1942 CASABLANCA premiered at the Hollywood Theater in New York City




Coolness under Fire, Personified:
Humphrey Bogart as Rick Blaine, American Soldier of Fortune.



I love this film. Partly because it mirrors a time in my life when I lived through a similar adventure in a dusty, miserable place on the west coast of Africa not far from Casablanca; but most of all I love this film because of the many subtle sub-plots running through it, and of course for all of the great lines it generated. The screenplay is full of great quotes, here are a few of my personal favorites:




“You know, Rick, I have many a friend in Casablanca, but somehow, just because you despise me, you are the only one I trust.”
- Peter Lorre, never creepier than in this role as Signor Ugarte


Rick: "I stick my neck out for nobody."





"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."





"As leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca,
I am an influential and respected man."
- Sydney Greenstreet as Signor Ferrari, Owner of the Blue Parrot.





". . . it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people 
don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world."




"Major Strasser has been shot . . . 
. . . Round up the usual suspects."




Feel free to share your favorite Casablanca quotes, below:


.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite quote? Why, the whole movie, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Shocked, Shocked you didnt include this quote...

    ReplyDelete