Monday, May 3, 2010

TECHNO-GEEK QUESTION

I recommend the Yum Pla Muuk - S.L.


ON THE ROAD AGAIN . . . this time in my favorite state north of the Mason-Dixon line - PENNSYLVANIA! (Not far from Gettysburg, in fact; I'll be posting from there over the Fourth of July weekend which of course was when the battle was fought).

ANYWAY I recently upgraded my Blackberry device and am using the Verizon Navigator application. Right away I notice its capabilities in the signal reception department seem superior somehow to the Garmins I was using - a couple generations back.

MY QUESTION IS - how does this thing work? Is it a true GPS system, receiving from satellites? Or is it similar to the old LORAN; triangulating off towers?

The reason I ask is it seems to be receiving even when its tucked into the center pedestal of the car, even when the car is under overhead cover . . . the engineer in me wants to know; I want to understand the mechanical nature of the system . . .

HAVING SAID ALL THAT the thing appears to be a true GPS after all, as it does not receive from within this fine Thai restaurant "Lemon Grass" (which I recommend to anybody) here in Lancaster, PA.

STORMBRINGER SENDS
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

3 comments:

  1. You're in my old stomping grounds - class of '75, Lancaster Catholic High School - the Progeny graduated from the Milton Hershey School in 1999 - ENJOY! If you need some local contacts, let me know - there's a retired Marine major in the Harrisburg area, and a former Marine & Philly Phyrephighter in Philly ................. ;-)

    Semper Fi'
    DM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might take you up on that Diamond . . . I'll be working out of this AO semi-permanently for the foreseeable future . . . contact me via the email link to the right there right under my resume.

    - Thanks, S.L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Done! From my 'nctv.com' account, so don't let it "spam" ...................... ;-)

    Semper Fi'
    DM

    ReplyDelete